The document of count Trojden Czerski Ist, signed in 1321, corroborates the existence of Warka as a town (oppidum).

The origin of the town's name is not univocally determined. The name could come from the word "warowac" (to mount, to keep guard), because that was the early function of the old Warka city, situated near the mouth of the Pilica river. The second hipotheses is connected with the production of beer, which at that time Warka was famous for. This activity was extremely popular among its inhabitants.

The period of the greatest development of Warka as a center of craftsmanship and trade was between XV and XVI century. In 1564 Warka there were about 400 houses, 2500-3000 inhabitants. Craftsmanship prevailed among the population: about 200 craftsmen with the biggest number of shoemakers (62) and brewers (30).

Warka beer was very famous and renowed. A proof of its quality was privilige of prince Boleslaw V in 1483r, restricting the rights of delivering warka beer on the priprince's court and sell it in basement of Warsaw's town-hall. A funny anecdote concerning Warka's beer is worth mentioning here. The pope's nuncio, Gaetano was a great lover of warka beer. After his returning Rome he got throat ulcer, on his bed of pain he whispered: "biera di Warka". Clergymen, who were looking after him, didn't get the meaning of his words. They thought that "biera di Warka" is an unknown saint. They started praying: "Santa Biera di Warka ora pro nobis" ("holy warka beer, pray for us"). The patient on hearing this burst out laughing and ... recovered, because the aching abscess broke.

One of the evidence of the greatness of Warka in the past was the existence of 7 churches. A legend related to one of those churches is worth mentioning, though it does not exists nowadays. The church was situated by the Pilica river in a place were so called Dominikan Lake is situated nowadays. From reasons known to nobody the church was swallowed by the earth and till the present day, on national days a sound of tolling bells can be heard from the lake depths.

Pilica river played an important role in the shipping trade: barges with timber and food were sailing down the river; here the bochenian salt,transported by land from the south, was embarked. In 1556 there were eight mills by the Pilica river and two bridges. The Fairs, which were organised 6 times a year, were at hat time extremely popular.

The educational system developed in 15th and 16th century. 24 scholars from Warka were studing between 1400-1525 at Cracow Academy.

In 1656r the historic battle with Swedes took place. Stefan Czarniecki was the commander of Polish troops. The Poles defeated the Swedish army. Apart from he tactical importance, the won battle inrseased morale and awakened the faith in victory in Polish nation.

After the last partitions of Poland in 1795 and the loss of independence, the Prussian army resided in Warka in 1807. After 1815 this territory was under the reign of Russian czars.

Numerous events from the period of national uprisings are connected with Warka: the November Uprising in years 1830-1831 and the January Uprising in 1863r. Piotr Wysocki, one of the initiators of the November Uprising, came from Warka. The battery of Polish army stationed in Warka and led by general Jozef Bem actively participated in November Uprising. During the November Uprising the Lieutenant-Colonel Wladyslaw Kononowicz gathered Warka's inhabitants and organised the insurgents' troops which then fought with the czar's troops. The heroic leader was captured with his adjutants - captain Edmundem Nalecz-Sadowskim and non-commissioned officer Feliks Labedzki in 3.VI.1863. All of them were executed on the common by the Pilica river.

The second half of the XIX century was the period of industial development of Warka. Craftsmanship developed including shoemaking, tailoring, carpentering, butchering and bakery. In 1891r the factory of metal fittings of Lubert brothers was established (nowadays Factory of mechanical equipment). The brewery and a brick-yard also existed in Warka at that time. In 1934 Warka was connected with Radom and Warsaw by new built railroad. In 1939r there was about 5700 inhabitants.

Great losses were caused by the II World War. The Nazis muredered many people living in Warka. More than 2000 Judes from Warka were transported to the extermination camps in 1941. Numerous Poles were taken to the forced labour to the Reish. On the territory of Warka partisan troops of AK (Armia Krajowa (National Army)), Gwardia Ludowa and Bataliony Chlopskie operated.

From the first days of August 1944 till the liberation in 16 January 1945 the front line went through Warka. Southwards, on the territory of so called Przyczolek warecko-magnuszewski (bridge-head) hard fights took place. The Polish troops from the 1st Army led by general Z. Berling, together with the Henryk Dabrowski's 2nd division of infantry, Romuald Traugutt's 3rd Division of Infantray and the Bohaterow Westerplatte's 1st Armoured Brigade and with the 8th Russian Army under the command of general W. Czujkow fought against the strong fortificated German troops. In 23.VIII.1944 the air battle between Polish airtroops and German Luftvaffe took place over Warka.

In the result of the fights the town was virtually razed to the ground. The witnesses of those days remember that among all those smouldering ruins only five houses were able to live in. Shortly after the liberation the displaced population came back to town. At present the number of population in Warka is about 11 thousand.